Rise and shine!
What's crackin?
What's for dinner?
What's for dinner?
Got a question? Ask us!
Animal Logic Careers FAQs

Looking for a job?

  •  How do I obtain a visa to work in Australia?

    If you are successful in gaining a role with Animal Logic in Sydney and require a work visa, we will help you through the process of making your application.

    Depending on your individual situation, the following are some options:

    Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462)
    These visas do not require company sponsorship. There are age limits and you must hold a passport from an eligible country. The application process for these visas is less complex than for sponsored visas, however you may only work for a maximum of six months with one Australian employer.


    Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
    This visa requires sponsorship by a company.  This is typically the visa option that Animal Logic uses to sponsor employees.  


    NOTE: The 457 visa is due to be abolished and replaced in March 2018 with a new TSS (Temporary Skill Shortage Visa). The eligibility criteria for all travel and work visas is subject to change.  You should always refer to the Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for complete and accurate information: http://www.border.gov.au/

  •  How do I obtain a visa to work in Canada?

    Depending on your situation, and the ability to meet the relevant eligibility criteria, the following are some options:

    Temporary Work Permit visa (this visa option requires sponsorship by a company, and is typically the visa option that Animal Logic will use to sponsor employees).  For more information, please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

    Unless you are a citizen from a visa - exempt country http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp#exemptions, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/what.asp may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.

    International Experience Canada (IEC) provides young individuals (18-30) the opportunity to travel and work in Canada. IEC is available in countries that have a bilateral youth mobility arrangement with Canada.  For more information, please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp

  •  What else might I need to obtain an Australian work visa?

    Work visa applications generally process more quickly when you have all the necessary documentation (for yourself and your family) ready at the time you submit. The items below usually take a little longer to organise than other parts of your application, so it is good to do your research and be prepared ahead of time.

    From 1st of July 2017, as part of the 457 work visa application, the following is required:

    English Language Proficiency
    Documents to show your level of English language proficiency, such as:
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – General Training Exam


    Note: Passport holders from some countries, or those with five years of secondary or higher education where instruction was in English may be eligible for exemption from the English language requirement.
    Police check
    The link below provides information on Australian Immigration service centres by country. Scroll to the bottom of a country page for information on how and where to apply for Police Checks.


    Health Requirement
    The link below provides some guidelines around what (if any) health examinations are required for your temporary visa and links you to further information about the process of obtaining them.


  •  Do I need to sit an English test for a Canadian work visa?

    If you apply for a Canadian work visa you may be required to take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.

    For more information please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

  •  Can my partner/spouse work as well, if I have an Australian work visa?

    Your partner/spouse can work in Australia on the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) if you are able to provide the appropriate documentation. 

    For more information, please visit:


  •  Can my partner/spouse work as well, if I have a Canadian work visa?

    If your spouse or common-law partner wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit.  For more information, please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

  •  How long should my showreel be?

    It is always good to keep your showreel short, sharp and sweet. It is far better to leave your audience wanting more, than for them to be bored and fast forwarding. 2 minutes is more than enough; we have seen fantastic reels from professionals with over 20 years experience that are as short as 60 seconds.

  •  What should I put on my showreel?

    Your best work, and only that. Mediocre work will always drag the better material down. Think about what is relevant to the job you are applying for.   Show it to someone who's opinion you trust and who knows what they are talking about, and try to consider their criticism ojbectively. 

  •  What kind of soundtrack should I have on my showreel?

    A soundtrack should compliment the vision, and not dominate or distract. Some people will turn off the sound when viewing a reel, but you should assume they will listen and you should do your best to sell your work with the soundtrack, and not to show what great taste you have in an obscure musical form!

  •  Should I include drawings in my showreel/portfolio, & what kind?

    If you are applying for an artistic role, drawings are quite valuable to a prospective employer. An animator's drawings might show an understanding of balance, weight and movement. A modeller's drawings can show an understanding of mass and proportion. Photography is a great study for lighters, and the design, layout and composition of painting and drawing can be helpful when looking at a compositor's work. 

  •  How can I develop professionally,  when I can't get a job?

    This is a problem for many at the start of their career, but there are options. You can develop your own projects, on your own or with friends. We are happy to view work that has been created collaboratively (that's how we work all the time). You simply need to be clear what you are responsible for on the reel (i.e. a subtitle on your reel that says "rigged and animated three headed monster"). You can look for work on low or no-budget projects. These will help you develop and create material to go on your reel.

  •  What is a typical salary at your company?

    We don't quote salaries until we are speaking with individuals about a job offer.

  •  Can I come and look around your studio?

    Due to the commercial sensitivity of our work we cannot provide tours of our studio.



  •  Is it better to be a generalist, or a specialist?

    This is a popular question, and the short answer is that most companies would prefer a generalist, who has a specialty. This means you can use your specialty when there is relevant work, but you can also work in other areas when required to.

  •  What software should I learn?

    While we use a range of specific software in house we wouldn't suggest that individuals start with one or another. The main issue is getting in and learning the common principles that apply across 3D (Maya, XSI, Max etc) or 2D/Compositing (Nuke, Shake, Flame, Digital Fusion, After Effects etc) programs. Once you are comfortable with a software package you will find it easier to move to another. While it probably isn't possible to be proficient in all the software packages available, you will probably find yourself using at least a few different packages throughout your career.

    What employers will often look for is the end product on your showreel, rather than what was used to make it. Having said that, you should keep in mind what a particular company uses (and they will make this quite clear in job advertisements) when you apply for a job.

  •  What should I concentrate on at school to best prepare me for a job in CG?

    There are a number of different career trajectories in CG that link back to your studies in high school. Many roles in the industry that are heavily artistic, so visual art courses, both theoretical and practical are important if you wish to be an animator, designer, modeler, texture artist, matte painter, compositor or lighter.

    Animators are performers, so performance studies are also very useful for them.

    As computers are one of our most important tools of trade, computer studies are very helpful. These will give you good general understanding and skills relating to using digital technology as well as potentially more skills with specific software used in the industry. With such a heavy reliance on digital technology we have a great crew of IT experts, so studying IT and maths are a solid base for that area.

    Managing the workflow is a crucial part of the business of digital production, so if you think you'd like to be in production management and be a coordinator or producer, learning business principles and people management skills could be very helpful.

  •  What school/university should I go to?

    There is no simple answer to this. There are many great insitutions and courses available, some prestigous, some accessible, and some both. What really counts about the study you might do, is that you get as much out of it as you can. Use the facilities to create great work and learn and make links with your teachers and fellow students.

    When we are looking at reels from new applicants we are far more interested in the quality of the work they can show us on their reel and not as much about where they studied.

    We know that some courses are superior to others, but we also know that a good reel from a second rate course is the mark of great potential.

  •  Where can I find tutorials?

    Most programs come with extensive manuals and tutorials, so make sure you go through all of these. There is also a wealth of material on the internet, so get searching!

  •  Can I do work experience at your company?

    At our Sydney, Australia studio we will continue our high school work experience program, aimed at students from years 10, 11 and 12. Two sessions will run each year, one around June and the other around December. Check the “Work Experience” link above for more details and an application form.
    We do not currently have a work experience program for our Los Angeles studio.

Careers FAQs