Please note this is a hybrid position and requires you to work from our studio for part of the work week. This is not a remote opportunity.
Do you enjoy problem solving and troubleshooting technical issues? If you are interested in delving further into the technical side of animation, then this could be the role for you!
This role involves supporting the Performance team by working through any day-to-day technical issues they may encounter. The Technical Assistant will troubleshoot, help artists with specific issues, and report or track those issues with the Performance TDs.
What you’ll get to do:
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Troubleshoot and provide end user support within the Animation Software and proprietary tools, escalate where necessary
- Test and validate new releases of pipeline tools both interactive (Maya) and automated (Farm) within these Production tool and Farm environments
- Provide feedback to ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Help provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (eg. Assets, Layout, Assembly) and provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Debug render issues for the Animation reviews
- Assist with the QC process of shots moving in and out of the Animation department
- Create and update documentation that supports the Technical Animation processes
- Establish close partnership with Animation staff and Performance TD groups
- Maintain a clean common facility pipeline (tools, automation, practices) that can be used across multiple shows at the same time
What you bring:
- Ideally 1+ years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature or equivalent education
- Experience supporting Animators and working with rigging methods is preferable
- Basic understanding of traditional animation techniques and the principles of character motion
- An understanding of the 3D animation pipelines and the applicable tools
- Experience using Maya in a production environment is preferable
- Ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- Pro-active problem solving within parameters and the ability to troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Adaptable and calm while balancing workload with artist and production needs
- Ability to communicate in both a technical and artistic manner with various personality types
- Ability to work collaboratively, build relationships and share knowledge
- Efficiently organize and prioritize work across multiple areas with attention to detail
- Programming experience in Python and knowledge of USD would be a bonus
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio!
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- A flexible, hybrid work environment
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including secured on-site parking, employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!