Location: Vancouver, BC
Are you an Assembly & Final Layout Lead experienced with assembly and asset management, along with a strong attention to detail?
The Assembly & Final Layout Lead is responsible for leading a team of Assembly & Final Layout artists. They are responsible for maintaining the “shot breakdown”, facilitating the distribution of assets between various departments, supporting the Layout and Animation teams with their creative requirements. They will also work closely with the Layout Supervisor to realise their vision, ensuring the standard and quality of the camera polishing, final set dressing and picture composition is consistently high.
What you’ll get to do:
- Conform timing and casting of shots, provided by Rough Layout, to the edit of the sequence
- Maintain asset breakdown, troubleshoot shot builds and QC for delivery to downstream departments
- Set dress shots based on the desired look of the film, working with the Production Designer and Art Director
- Collaborate with and support the Animation department with camera framing and “work in progress” animation
- Finalize the cinematic staging, camera positioning, camera settings and composition as directed by the Layout Supervisor or Director
- Generate production-ready sequences in Maya
- Adhere to deadlines and anticipate, communicate and troubleshoot technical issues with Production.
- Become proficient with the proprietary tools and provide feedback; understand the department’s role within the studio pipeline
- Lead a team under the guidance of Layout Supervisor and production team
- Provide leadership and work in collaboration with production and Artist Management to develop the skills and abilities of all artists in the team
- Understand the overall brief and goals of a project and communicates this clearly to each member of the team
- Delegate work responsibly to ensure successful completion of shots across team members of all skill levels
- Drive team reviews and offer creative/technical feedback on reviewed shots
- Perform daily one-on-one rounds with artists
- Communicate production information to both the artists and production
- Participate in creative brainstorming with Layout Supervisor and artists
- Problem solve to create and maintain production pipeline(s) and support AL’s overall technical goals as required
- Document new techniques and distribute updates to peers, crew and production
- Participate in the recruiting and interview process for new employees as required
- Ensure issues are identified early and work with Artist Management to put constructive solutions in place to resolve/diffuse
What you bring:
- 5+ years’ experience in feature animation, VFX, and/or animated television with a focus in Layout
- Proven leadership experience within feature animation or VFX
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel.
- Expert level knowledge and understanding of 3D software packages used in digital film production, in particular Maya
- Knowledge and experience with asset management and production tracking software
- Ability to produce expert level camera work using knowledge and understanding of camera polishing and camera settings such as focal lengths, depth of field and f-stop
- Knowledge of shot based set dressing techniques to provide artistic quality to the sequence
- An understanding of editing and continuity over a sequence of shots and a film
- Proven ability to deliver high quality shots within production deadlines
- An understanding of stereo principles is a bonus
- Recognised post-secondary qualification in animation, film or related field is preferable.