Please note this is a hybrid position and requires you to work from our studio for part of the work week. This is not a remote opportunity.
We are looking for a Character Finalling Artist to work on a new Feature Animation project in Sydney. You will work closely with a variety of departments including; R&D, Modelling, Rigging, Animation, and Character FX to develop, and implement character shot based clean-up, and deformation effects post Animation. You will also support the Animation team.
What you’ll get to do:
- Manage shot based deformation enhancements post Animation. This includes:
- Deformation clean-up due to rigs pushed beyond capability
- Adding deformation effects simulating interaction
- Collaborate with the Animation and Rigging departments to determine best approaches to key deformation requirements
- Support the animation team with, for example, QC, background character animation and crowd cycles
- Provide input into the procedures and techniques that will allow the visual requirements of the film to be met
- Assist with the prioritisation and delegation of work, trouble-shooting technical issues, to help ensure successful and timely completion of shots
- Understand the processes of, and support open communication between, adjoining departments, such as Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging
- Document new techniques and distribute updates
- Participate in problem solving to maintain production pipeline(s) and support AL’s overall technical goals as required
What you bring:
- Experience in feature animation, VFX, and/or animated television, with production proven knowledge of Character Finalling in either Maya, Houdini, or other relevant software
- Knowledge of human/animal anatomy and form
- Proven ability to create and deliver high-level shot based deformation correction in a timely manner
- Solid knowledge in pipeline, process, tools and techniques, with a good understanding of industry standards, conventions, formats and common practice
- Strong communication skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots
The following would be considered a bonus:
- Experience with sculpting package (i.e. Z-brush)
- Knowledge of both mechanical and organic type rigs in a production environment
- Software development experience using Python, and relevant application API
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio!
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- A flexible, hybrid work environment
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including secured on-site parking, employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!