Location: Sydney, Australia
Are you an experienced Senior Character FX Artist with a creative passion to create high quality effects for an animated feature!? We are looking for Character FX Artists to join our team in Sydney!
What you’ll get to do:
- Develop hair, cloth, and fur simulations with direction from the Department Supervisor or Lead
- Develop intelligent Houdini character setups, that can be highly automated
- Develop techniques and Houdini Digital Assets to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Assist in the development of the Char FX pipeline and tools (in conjunction with TDs and R&D)
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Assist or mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
What you bring:
- 5 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature with a focus in Character FX and simulations
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality hair, fur, cloth, and feather effects simulation
- Production experience using Houdini: Vellum & grooming tools
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs essential
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Production experience with Numerions Carbon Cloth a Bonus
- Understanding of muscle and skin simulation desired
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
What you should include in your demo reel/portfolio:
- Complex and problem solving Character FX shot work
- Houdini simulations
- Any digital assets and setups you’ve contributed to, created or developed yourself
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio based in sunny Sydney!
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!