Do you have experience with pipeline TD in animated features or TV shows? We’re looking for an FX Pipeline TD to join Animal Logic’s Vancouver team! The FX Pipeline TD would be responsible for supporting the technical objectives of the FX /Character-FX and Crowd teams through tool development, technical direction, pipeline troubleshooting, and artist support. They will work closely with Artists, Lead, Supervisors, and collaborate cross site with other Department TDs and R&D teams to ensure a common and standardized approach to workflows, tool development and support.
Specifically focusing Houdini, they will cover areas such as FX simulation, procedural workflows and asset delivery, character-fx workflows involving skin, cloth, hair and feathers, Crowd Tools focusing on agent layout, simulation and rendering.
What you’ll get to do:
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, and design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Assist the FX Pipeline TD team with day to day issues and escalating through the right channels when necessary
- Ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools or by leading development of new tools
- Test and validate new releases of pipeline tools both interactive (Houdini) and automated (Farm) within these Production tool and Farm environments
- Liaise with R&D to ensure compliance with internal best practices
- Understand the processes of adjoining teams, provide input where required to maximize efficiency and quality
- Create and update technical documentation for FX/Character-FX/Crowd processes
- Establish close partnership with artists, leads and other TD groups
- Work closely with the Leads and Supervisors to plan, develop, and maintain department specific tools and plan for the future show/studio creative needs
- Provide training and documents to the artists for new creative tools.
What you bring:
- 3 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- Proven pipeline TD experience in animated features, animated TV series and/or VFX feature films.
- Degree in Animation, Film, Computer Science, Design, Engineering, Math or Physics, or equivalent combination of education & work experience in animation/VFX
- Solid understanding of Character FX simulation and deformation techniques for skin, cloth, fur, hair and feathers
- A knowledge of crowd agents, simulation and render procedurals
- Experience using and troubleshooting in Houdini
- Knowledge/experience in Python language
- Working knowledge of source control systems, PyQt or other GUI toolkit
- Experience in, Ziva, Mssive, Maya, Mari, Nuke, XSI considered a bonus
- Working knowledge of concepts like data flow, data dependencies, Meta data, publishing and retrieval.
- An ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of both off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- The ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- The ability to efficiently organize and prioritize work across multiple areas and work and remain calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Excellent in pro-active problem solving and finding solutions within the parameters presented
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
Please apply if you are eligible to work permanently in Canada.