Location: Vancouver, BC
Are you an FX Supervisor interested in working with us in our Vancouver studio?! The FX Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of FX Artists and FX Support TDs through the artistic and technical aspects of high-quality simulations which may include destruction, explosion, particles, cloth, fur, and fabric to achieve the director’s vision and brief. This is to be achieved whilst working in collaboration with relevant technical, creative and production staff, and within the constraints of the production budget and schedule as directed by the company.
What you’ll get to do:
- Work closely with the Director, Co-Director, Production Designer, Art Director, CG Supervisor, and other craft Supervisors to define and maintain and influence the visual style of an animated film
- Oversee and drive the FX team to deliver creative goals in a timely manner and to the highest standard; provide detailed and specific feedback to the FX department
- Partner with Production Management to ensure milestones and efficient delivery expectations are met and identify any issues that may impact the schedule
- Ensure all FX bids are delivered in the required format and in a timely manner, including any necessary assumptions
- Work within time and budgetary parameters of the project, and with the Production Designer, Art Director and CG Supervisors to deliver a film
- Delegate work responsibly to ensure successful completion of shots across team members of all skill levels
- Engage in exchanges of ideas and methodologies to provide optimal solutions for creative and technical challenges of project as required
- Supervise, define, implement and maintain the techniques and methodologies required to achieve the successful execution of the FX output for the film
- Understand department pipelines including all current assets and tools, and their purpose and provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Identify any inefficiencies and work with relevant departments and supervisors to rectify the issues
- Partner with Artist Management to build, nurture, mentor, and structure the FX team; work with recruitment to evaluate and interview candidates
- Encourage a positive and collaborative atmosphere by fostering an environment of respect, integrity and trust
What you bring:
- 7+ years’ FX experience in feature animation, VFX and/or animated television
- 2+ years’ in a supervisory role within feature animation or VFX preferred; extensive leadership experience may be considered
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Expert knowledge and proficiency in Houdini FX tools in a production environment such as
- Houdini: SOPs/DOPs/POPs essential
- Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Deep understanding of traditional animation techniques, i.e. squash and stretch, anticipation, and key framing
- Ability to craft Non Photoreal FX, from a creative brief
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Experience in leading a team; motivating artists, providing feedback and fostering a constructive team dynamic
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, independently owned and operated, award-winning studio.
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!