Employment type: 1 year contract with ongoing opportunities
This is an exciting role centered around Houdini and USD for the Lookdev, Modelling and Environment Departments.
You’ll empower artists to unleash their talent and boost efficiencies. Optimise Houdini User experience, improve existing tools and build new ones to tackle ambituous projects and deadlines.
The disciplines you’ll develop for are wide ranging – including material, texturing and shading tools and pipelines, as well as grooming, fabrics, instancing, world building and many more.
You’ll work closely with highly proficient R&D teams, collaborate with other TDs and liase with experienced stakeholders.
What you’ll get to do:
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, and design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Assist the Asset teams with day to day issues and escalating through the right channels when necessary
- Ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools or by leading development of new tools
- Take responsibility for the optimisation of the department workflow
- Test and validate new releases of tools both interactive (Houdini/USD/Mari/Substance) and automated (Farm)
- Liaise with R&D to ensure compliance with internal best practices
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments, provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Create and update technical documentation for Asset processes
- Establish close partnership with Assets staff and other TD groups
- Maintain a clean common facility pipeline (tools, automation, practices) across multiple shows at the same time
What you bring:
- 3+ years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- Proven TD experience in large scale animated features, animated TV series and/or VFX feature films
- Degree in Animation, Film, Computer Science, Design, Engineering, Maths or Physics, or equivalent combination of – education & work experience in animation/VFX
- Solid understanding of Procedural Tools and Surfacing techniques and flow the of assets across crafts
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using and troubleshooting in Houdini
- Solid knowledge in Python and ideally Vex
- Ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Knowledge of concepts like data flow, data dependencies, Meta data, publishing and retrieval
- Experience in Mari, Substance or Nuke is considered a bonus
- An understanding of USD and its general concepts is a bonus
- An understanding of OCIO and its general concepts is a bonus
- An ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of both off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- The ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- The ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work and remain calm under pressure
- Excellent in pro-active problem solving and finding solutions within the parameters presented
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, independently owned and operated, award-winning studio!
- A central location in Vancouver CBD, minutes from beaches and mountains for the ultimate outdoors lifestyle
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to working within a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development team focused on your personal career growth
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you. Submit your application below!