Are you a highly skilled Technical Director, Media Engineer, Software Developer, or a professional in a related field? Are you seeking a unique opportunity to shape and establish a cutting-edge review ecosystem within the animation industry? We are currently looking for talented individuals to join our team as an Imaging Pipeline Technical Director. If you have a passion for technologies related to colour accuracy, enabling collaboration between diverse teams, and streamlining review processes we want to hear from you!
At Animal Logic, we are embarking on a transformative multi-year project to establish a unified, highly standardised, and colour accurate review ecosystem. Our aim is to enable seamless collaboration and efficient tracking of media content across creative teams. In this endeavor, we are proud to collaborate closely with our Netflix partners. This project presents an exciting opportunity to contribute to the evolution of our review processes.
We are currently seeking experienced technicians, including potential candidates for a Lead position. As a Lead, excellent communication and project management skills will be essential in addition to your technical expertise. Together with our creative partners, you will play a pivotal role in shaping and implementing this ground-breaking review ecosystem.
The successful candidate will work in the role of “Imaging TD” or “Lead Imaging TD” within our dynamic and diverse Imaging department, which is responsible for managing the Compositing, Finishing and Colour pipelines.
While your primary focus will be on contributing to the implementation of the review ecosystem initiative, frequent collaboration with other Imaging TDs will be required, hence having knowledge and experience in the Imaging field will be advantageous.
What you’ll get to do:
- Define and document officially supported review tools and workflows
- Manage the transition from unsupported to officially supported review tools and workflows
- Implement and validate colour-critical review workflows
- Collaborate with the creative teams to ensure colour accuracy and seamless review experiences
- Establish efficient media management practices for high-fidelity reviews, including synchronisation of media between facilities or cloud-based access
- Act as a liaison between the technical team and the creative teams, facilitating effective communication and understanding of technical requirements
- Provide training and support to creative teams for the adoption of the established review pipeline foundations
- Ensure smooth onboarding of the review tools and workflows, addressing any technical challenges or questions
- Implement and maintain review tools and enhance their features based on user’s feedback
Additionally the project Lead’s responsibilities will include:
- Providing leadership and guidance in the establishment and implementation of the review ecosystem
- Collaborating closely with our creative partners and internal teams to understand their specific needs and ensure the review tools meet their requirements
- Working closely with the project management team to develop and drive the overall project plan, including timelines, milestones and deliverables, and ensuring alignment with project goals and objectives
- Staying updated with industry trends, emerging technologies and best practices related to review processes and pipeline development
What you bring:
- A degree in Computer Science, Animation, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience as a Technical Director, Media Engineer, Software Engineer or in a related field within the VFX or animation industry, with a focus on pipeline development, review workflows and/or media & resource management
- Strong knowledge of industry-standard review tools such as RV, along with the experience integrating them into animation pipelines and enhancing their feature set
- In-depth understanding of colour management principles and colour-critical review processes. Experience with colour pipelines using ACES/OCIO
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Python, C++, or similar
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines
- Effective communication and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented environment
- Knowledgeable in agile workflows, Git and the ShotGrid API
- Strong Linux proficiency with knowledge of Windows and/or MacOS operating systems being advantageous
The following would be considered a bonus and will be advantageous for the Lead position:
- Understanding of SDR/HDR review workflows, including current capabilities and limitations of hardware and software
- Knowledge of different display devices, such as monitors, projectors, and theatrical environments, and their impact on the review process
- Openness to occasionally travel to visit our creative partners
- Proficiency in industry-standard software tools, such as Nuke and Baselight, commonly used in the review and colour grading processes
- Familiarity with additional review tools such as SyncSketch, ClearView, BlueScape
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio!
- Conveniently located in vibrant Yaletown, near the heart of downtown Vancouver!
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Talent Management team focused on your personal career growth
- A flexible, hybrid work environment
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including free gym access, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you! And don’t forget to share your GitHub – we love seeing the incredible work you’ve done!
Please note this is a hybrid position and requires you to work from our Vancouver studio for part of the work week. This is not a remote opportunity.
Location: Vancouver preferable, Sydney positions will be considered for the right candidates.