Please note this is a hybrid position and requires you to work from our studio for part of the work week. This is not a remote opportunity.
The Rigging Supervisor is the artistic and technical leader, who, in partnership with the Asset Department Supervisor, CG Supervisor and the Performance Technology Team, is accountable for the technical and artistic outcomes of the rigging department on a single production.
The supervisor is accountable for the deliverables of the Rigging department, and participates in ensuring consistency of quality and look for a production.
What you’ll get to do:
- Lead a team of Rigging Artists, to develop, implement and maintain robust character, face, and prop rigs, to animation feature film standards
- Collaborate with the Animation Director and other Supervisors to define, understand, and maintain the visual style of the production
- Provide leadership and work with Artist Management to develop the skills and abilities of all digital artists in the team
- Clearly communicate the overall brief and goals of a project to each member of the team, driving the delivery of technical and creative goals in a timely manner and to the highest standard
- Drive the team reviews and offer creative/technical feedback on reviewed shots
- Maintain a holistic view of the pipeline, assisting with design and maintenance, ensuring a smooth and efficient pipeline for rigging CG assets
- Supervise, define, implement, and maintain the techniques, tools, and methodologies required to achieve the successful execution of the Rigging output for the film
- Communicate and collaborate with the relevant supervisors, leads, R&D and the Performance Technology Team as necessary
- Document new techniques and distribute updates to peers, crew and Production Management
- Partner with Production Management to implement a schedule that ensures the department delivers on time, and to a high level of quality
- Prepare bids and pitches as required
What you bring:
- 5+ years’ rigging experience in feature animation or VFX
- 2+ years’ experience in a lead/supervisory role within feature animation or VFX
- Experience in leading a team, motivating artists, providing feedback, and fostering a constructive team dynamic
- Expert knowledge in pipeline, process, tools and techniques, with a high-level understanding of industry standards, conventions and common practice
- Expert knowledge of mechanical and organic rigs in a production environment, and proven ability to create and deliver production ready rigs in a timely manner
- Proven production knowledge in Python and working with proprietary APIs
- Expert and production proven knowledge of rigging in Maya
- Excellent understanding of anatomy, volumes and masses, dynamics and character motion
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment, building relationships within and across departments
- Proven ability to work with matrices and a strong understanding of linear algebra
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio!
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Artist Management team focused on your personal career growth
- A flexible, hybrid work environment
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and staff wellness programs
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including secured on-site parking, employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines, weekly
- lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!