Location: Sydney, Australia
Are you a Senior FX Artist with a creative passion to develop and generate complex FX assets? Can you define high quality looks for animated features? Do you have the technical ability to build rigs and FX templates for yourself and others in Houdini? This could be the opportunity for you!
What you’ll get to do:
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose.
- Develop particle and fluid simulations with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead.
- Develop techniques and rigs to achieve and optimise approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead.
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (e.g. Lighting and Compositing) and communicate with these departments as needed.
- Become proficient with the department’s propriety tools.
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews.
What you bring:
- 5+ years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature.
- 5+ years’ experience in working on FX and simulations using Houdini FX tools (USD experience a Bonus).
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio.
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs/POPs essential.
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable.
- Understanding of traditional animation techniques, i.e. squash and stretch, anticipation, and key framing.
- Ability to craft Non Photoreal FX, from a creative brief.
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks.
- Attention to design and artistic detail.
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members.
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas.
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference.
- What you should demonstrate in your demo reel/portfolio:
- Complex and problem solving FX shot work.
- Houdini simulations.
- Any digital assets and setups you’ve contributed to, created or developed yourself.
What we offer you:
- Work with the world’s largest independent and award-winning animation studio.
- A central location in sunny Sydney, minutes from the CBD and famous Bondi Beach.
- Work on ground-breaking animated feature films.
- Exposure to working within a USD pipeline.
- A dedicated Artist Management team and Learning and Development Supervisor focused on your personal career growth.
- Currently piloting a flexible work program, allowing Animals to work from home one day per week.
- A world-renowned working environment packed with clubs, social activities and events.
- A generous leave policy including paid Annual, sick and ‘Volunteer’ days, for when you need a break, have the sniffles or you’d like to pay it forward.
- A variety of employee benefits including superannuation, employee discounts, breakfast, free use of barista coffee machines and snacks!