Please note this is a hybrid position and requires you to work from our Vancouver studio for part of the work week. This is not a remote opportunity
Could you be the motivated Software Engineer we are seeking to join our core R&D group, based in our Vancouver Studio? If so, you would help continue the evolution of our visual effects production tools and processes, especially in the areas of natural phenomena simulation, procedural geometry generation/amplification, and creature effects. The role will involve the development and support of tools and techniques in collaboration with our artistic staff.
You may have a background in film, animation, television, visualization or games fields. An interest in mathematics and/or physics would be beneficial.
What you’ll get to do:
- Experience working fur/feather, knitting, cloth, linework and stylized effects
- Experience a variety of challenges with every show/project to cater to the look and style of the film
- Work alongside some of the best artists and developers in the world
- Integrate those tools and techniques into both established and new artist workflows
- Collaborate directly with the artists who will be utilizing the tools you develop
What you bring:
- A tertiary qualification in Computer Science or Engineering or Math/Geometry
- 4 or more years of experience in a VFX/animation/game field
- Software development experience using C++
- Working knowledge of relevant applications such as Houdini, Maya and Python, including their APIs
- Ability to develop tools and UIs for creative users
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced production environment
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently for some tasks
- Experience using software profiling and optimization tools e.g. VTune, Valgrind
- Mathematical skills and familiarity with algorithms for numerical simulation
- Working knowledge of other relevant APIs or extension languages, such as OpenGL, OpenVDB, CUDA, Boost, TBB, USD, or Eigen
- An appreciation of design aesthetics
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to join a growing, award-winning studio based in downtown Vancouver!
- An inclusive workplace of employees who are passionate about creativity and technology
- A chance to contribute to the success of ground-breaking animated feature films
- Exposure to a USD pipeline
- A dedicated Learning and Development and Talent Management team focused on your personal career growth
- Flexible work arrangements, with work from home options
- Paid ‘Volunteer’ days to support those causes close to your heart!
- A world-renowned working environment packed with social clubs, activities and events
- A variety of employee benefits including free gym access, breakfast, use of barista coffee machines, weekly lunches/pastries and snacks galore!
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, then we want to hear from you!